Mar 20, 2012

Cartagena!

Me and my boyfriend just spend an amazing weekend in Cartagena!
Monday was a holiday here in Colombia (Saint Joseph's Day) so we left on Friday night and got back late last night. Cartagena is a beautiful city, it's located on the Caribbean coast of Colombia. It was founded by the Spanish in the 1500s and the old city is surrounded by a big wall. It was built to protect the city from pirates. Inside the walls the houses are all in an old colonial style in many different colors. It's amazing to walk around inside the city at night or take one of the horse carriages, car traffic is very limited in the old parts of the city.

Since the city is right by the Caribbean coast it is very sunny and hot. We had about 30 degrees Celsius and light breeze for the three day we were there. During the days we swam in the pool, read some books and enjoyed just relaxing and spending time together. During the evenings we went into the old town and had some nice dinners and just walked around looking at the beautiful city. We also had great ice cream and the best coconut lemonade ever! I promise I'll try to make it in Sweden this summer :)


The old wall around the city


The beautiful colors of the city and the ocean in the background


The old houses it the city with pretty balconies 

I love Cartagena and I would definitely recommend the city to anyone visiting Colombia!
<3

4 comments:

  1. Hey I just bumped into this blog! Congrats and thanks for all your nice comments about Colombia! I am glad you enjoyed Cartagena; it really is a beautiful romantic city!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cartagena es lo mejor! Mi esposo es sueco yo soy colombiana y vivimos sonando en la proxima vez que vallamos a cartagena ... opps ojala hables espanol hi hi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sapita!

      Sorry it took me so long to add your comments, I haven't been very active with the blog. I speak a little Spanish so I understand what you're saying :) It's awesome that you married a Swedish guy, I'm sure he loves Colombia!

      Delete